Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Failed to copy from source, can't change temp name.

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
lgolebio

Failed to copy from source, can't change temp name.

Post by lgolebio »

Hi
I'm using SyncbackFree on my Windows 7 machine. I created profile to "mirror" backup of my folders to a NAS server. I have a QNAP TS-212P.

Everything is working OK but sometimes I get:

Failed to copy from source : Safe copy Failed. failed to rename temp file: File is locked (\\NAS\xxx\xxxx\SBSE____.DO4) The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

It doesn't matter if it is a .pdf, .doc, or .jpg file. Does this mean that my QNAP is locking this temporary files somehow ? It's weird because 99% of files are being copied and from time to time 1% gets this error.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Failed to copy from source, can't change temp name.

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Based on the error message it appears that some other process running on your system has locked (or has handle) on the safe copy file (SBSE_____.XXX) created as a part of the safe copy process, hence SyncBackFree failed to rename the temporary file (safe copy file) to the actual name after copy was success.

You can refer to the Help file > Copy/Delete > Advanced settings page to understand about safe copy option and why this option is enabled by default.

As this error is returned when renaming the safe copy file, you can try switching off the "Make safe copies" option under:

Modify > Expert > Copy/Delete > Advanced settings page

to see if it helps to resolve your issue.

Thank you.
lgolebio

Re: Failed to copy from source, can't change temp name.

Post by lgolebio »

Is this safe to switch this options OFF when the profile is set to "mirror" ?