Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Options for backup on a synology NAS

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
niocnioc

Options for backup on a synology NAS

Post by niocnioc »

Hello

I'd like to setup a backup plan from a windows directory to a synology NAS.
It almost works right with the following options:

Code: Select all

Files will be copied from Source (H:\Images\) to Destination (\\Syno\nas\Images\).
If the same file has been changed on both Source and Destination then the file on Source will replace the file on Destination.
Files only on Source are copied to Destination.
If a file is only on Destination then it is ignored.
If an empty directory is only on Source then the decision is automated.
If an empty directory is only on Destination then the decision is automated.
The following files/folders will be ignored: *\$RECYCLE.BIN\,*\*.SBSECOR,"*\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files\",*\AppData\Local\Temp\,"*\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*\parent.lock",*\desktop.ini,*\DfsrPrivate\,"*\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\","*\Local Settings\Temp\","*\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\",*\RECYCLER\,*\SBSE____.*,"*\System Volume Information\",*\System32\Msdtc\MSDTC.LOG,*\thumbs.db,*\Windows\csc\,*\Windows\debug\NtFrs*,*\Windows\ntfrs\jet\,*\Windows\Prefetch\,*\Windows\Registration\*.crmlog,*\Windows\sysvol\domain\DO_NOT_REMOVE_NtFrs_PreInstall_Directory\,*\Windows\sysvol\domain\NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog\,*\Windows\sysvol\staging\domain\NTFRS_*,*\Windows\Temp\,\hiberfil.sys,\pagefile.sys,\PGPWDE01
The profile is stored in C:\Users\Nicolas\AppData\Local\2BrightSparks\SyncBackFree\
the only problem is that every time i run the plan syncback finds new files that have to be copied on Destination. Which options should i use to avoid this?
des421
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Re: Options for backup on a synology NAS

Post by des421 »

I'm going to follow you question with much interest. As I've asked both here on the SyncyBackPro Forum and the Qnap Forums in Pre-sales and no one so far seems have an answer, or grasp the significance. I've used SBP between Windows and a homebrew NAS with no problems. However, my "NAS" consists of a USB 3.0 connected HDD to a Netgear R7000 router (now reduced to a switch simply to keep the Readyshare on the LAN). The Qnap NAS in question keeps it's internal file system in EXT4, as most probably does your Sysnology. While the Directory/File Handling is actually carried out in the transport mechanisms/protocols (primarily SMB), I haven't been able to find out if the File Comparison Info, i.e. the NTFS FIle Size and Last Access Date/Time is keep in a form in EXT4 that can be equally compared to NTFS? On my homebrew NAS the disk is formated NTFS, and this works fine over the network. But after a couple hundred views on the forums I still haven't found a user who has actually used SBP on a Qnap NAS and can say it will work there! The same problem exists with some Cloud Storages, some work, some don't, and in some cases I think SBP keeps it's own data base of what's been copied up for later Incremental comparisons? So if SBP has copied the initial load up then it works, but not against anything copied up by other means! ANd most of these are using, you guessed it, Linux/Unix. Anyway this may be where the/your problem lies, trying to find the Incremental differences when the Source and Destination are stored in 2 different file systems?

Anyone else please? DES
des421
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by des421 »

Since my last post about this I've been able to verify that the EXT4 file system used internally by Qnap (and I'm reasonably sure Sysnology) indeed does keep the parameters necessary for SyncBack to make it's comparisons against NTFS for determining incremental updates. This is no guarantee of the implementation, only that's it possible! Then it occurred to me that this feature is only available in the SE & Pro versions? So I'm not sure if I'm addressing the correct thing here? I've copied files from a computer up to say Google Drive by Drag & Drop in the Chrome browser, then seen SBP copy the same files up again later from a profile. When SBP has originally copied them up this doesn't occur. I'm guessing the last access date/time is getting set to the creation date/time the first way and not when SBP does the original copy?

Anyway, unable to hear from a user who's successfully used SBP against one of these NAS boxes, I've satisfied myself that it "should" work OK. I've used it between Google Drive & Windows Computers & my homebrew NAS which is formated NTFS. The User's Manual for the R7000 says the Readyshare works with EXT4. I could format a USB stick such and prove this to myself but feel it's redundant. If the implementation works with one file system, it'll work with the other on that device. And so have ordered a Qnap TS-253A to find out the hard way if the implementation works on that NAS box. It'll be a week or more, but I'll follow up with the results on my previous post on the SBP Forum.

DES
syncbacker

Post by syncbacker »

I've been using SyncBackFree with my Synology for 2 years with no issue. I mapped my NAS to Windows and then created backup plan from windows folders to Synology folder. It was not different than backing up to another drive or folder in windows.