Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Run from Command Line Asynchronous

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
kanine

Run from Command Line Asynchronous

Post by kanine »

When I run SyncBackFree from the command line it appears to run asynchronously. However due to some sequencing of events, and checking that needs to be done I'm wondering if it can be made to run in a Synchronous mode, ie the command will only exit ones the profile has completed.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Run from Command Line Asynchronous

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi - have you considered using the START command with the /WAIT switch to trigger SyncBackFree > the profile?

NOTE: there is apparently a bug in the START command when double-quotes are used so that the program path\name is treated as a 'title', and any following parameters you specify (such as a profile-name...) are wrongly treated as the program command (which will obviously fail). The trick (and more details), according to

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1540 ... ed-program

is to add/use a dummy title as a/the first quoted-string (note: there's a comment in the stackoverflow thread that mentions empty double-quotes as a dummy title can give errors but it worked either way for me in Win10...). I used something like

START /WAIT "DummyTitle" "C:\Program Files (x86)\2BrightSparks\SyncBackFree\SyncBackFree.exe" "test Profile Name"
DIR P:

and it works fine in a batch file for me. The DIR command is there only as a visual clue if/when next-stage happens, and the START command definitely waits for SB to close before executing the DIR.

Please note: I am by no means an expert DOS programmer; using START /? (to get contextual Help) gives me a migraine (note that the 'title-bug' still isn't mentioned or mended yet). Ditto most of the stackoverflow article, if I'm honest. I doubt I can give you any deeper assistance if you have problems, but the code above seems to work for me...