Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

*Almost* backup configuration

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
Jim Wilson

*Almost* backup configuration

Post by Jim Wilson »

I'm struggling to implement the following rule:

copy the file from the Left to Right only if the file is (A) not on the right, or (B) the one on the left is newer

Is this easy and I'm just not getting it? Or is it harder than I think?
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: *Almost* backup configuration

Post by cliffhanger »

HI, it's not available in the freeware version (nor in the upcoming SyncBackLite V8, it appears). But you can do it in the SE & Pro V7 (also V8 BETA) 'commercial models' by

a) creating a standard Backup* profile and then adding the extra setting >>
b) Modify profile > Expert view > Compare Options > Date & Time > 'Do not replace newer files with older files'

Otherwise, your freeware choices (to cover the situations where a copy of a file exists on both sides) are (as you probably worked out) >>

1) set it so that, in effect, 'Source always wins, regardless of date/timestamp' (the default Backup or Mirror rule) - or
2) set it so 'newer file overwrites older file (synchronise)' (which might mean 'Right wins & overwrites Left file')

(assuming you don't want to base any decisions on size...)

* or, a standard Mirror (Left to Right) with the same extra setting (depending what you want to happen with Destination-only files - you didn't say)
Jim Wilson

Re: *Almost* backup configuration

Post by Jim Wilson »

Ok, thanks for the answer. I appreciate your time.