Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

how do i encrypt my data on shared external drive?

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
toddee

how do i encrypt my data on shared external drive?

Post by toddee »

my goal here is to protect my files and file names from anyone else that is logged onto my network. i tried using encryption which apparently put each file in a zip file but after 4 straight days of running, all it did was make a zip file with the same name and it kept the original file on the external drive. so even if it does somehow delete the copy of the file, people can still see the names of the files. id rather the backup be in one container so to speak

so how can i make it that anyone that accesses the shared drive cannot see the file names/zip files etc.

it's a mycloud drive and i really havent played with the encryption on it to make my folders private and the one time i did, it just didnt work right so i made it public again. but yes i do realize that may be easier for some people, just not me.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: how do i encrypt my data on shared external drive?

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

SyncBackPro/SE V8 supports encryption of filenames during compression of all files into a single zip file (using the PKWare SecureZip standard). To use this option:

- First, you should enable single zip compression in SyncBack (where all files are compressed into a single zip file)

- Use either Deflated or BZip2 compression method

- Use AES encryption

Please read the help file for more details about this option. With Compression > Encryption settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help. If you wish you can evaluate SyncBackSE/Pro V8, which we offer a free 30-day evaluation. You can download and install V8 release version from here:

https://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

If you do decide to purchase, the serial number will convert the 'trial' to the 'registered' version.

Thank you.
toddee

Post by toddee »

Thanks for the reply. is there anything inherently more risky with putting everything in one zip file? i like to do one full backup per week and then incrementals during the week.

I'm assuming that zip file that has everything is encrypted as well so that is great!
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

There shouldn’t be any problem using single zip compression with local drive or a network drive. However, if you are using single zip compression with FTP, cloud, SyncBack Touch etc., then the zip file is always replaced on the server (deleted and recreated in each run), hence we do not recommend using single zip with non-standard resources (FTP, cloud etc.,).

I would suggest installing SE/Pro V8 on your end and perform complete evaluation tests to see if V8 is suitable for your requirement.

Thank you.