Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Windows 10 family and backup opened locked file

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
jfneuch

Windows 10 family and backup opened locked file

Post by jfneuch »

Hello,
I have windows 10 family 64 bits with Syncbackfree 8.0.1.0.
I have planned an internal backup task every day from D:\... to D:\... at lunch time when I am away.
If some files are opened, it makes an error. After reading the documentation, I have seen that the windows user should have the backup right in Windows. But with Windows 10 family, it is not possible to add those rights on my account.
I do not want to use my laptop always in administrator account, only to allow Syncback to make backup of locked files.
Does someone has an idee how to to backup locked files in Windows 10 family ?
Thanks a lot to everyone who tries to help me.

Kind Regards

Jean
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Windows 10 family and backup opened locked file

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi, you cannot copy open/locked files using SyncBackFree (and never could) - you need at least the new SyncBackLite model, or the SE or Pro models. See this KB article for more details

Note that using just the Lite/SE/Pro models alone will require you to run SB as an administrator (this is a Windows requirement for using the Windows' Volume Shadow-Copy service ('VSS'') directly by SB).

However, if you use the SE or Pro models, you can leverage the Windows version of the SyncBack Touch server applet for Windows (this version of the server applet runs under the Windows' SYSTEM account, so can itself use VSS). In this way, SyncBackSE (or SyncBackPro) does not itself have to be run in an admin session/login, it only needs to be configured to use a service (Touch for WIndows) that can use VSS. The SE & Pro models support up to two free instances (usages) of Touch - more Touch licenses are available for purchase if you need more than two copies. There are links in the above KB article to other details & articles about using Touch.

In summary...

SyncBackFree does not support copying open/locked files (at all)

SyncBackLite can use VSS itself (when Lite is run as admin) but does not support Touch (which can leverage VSS using the SYSTEM account)

SyncBackSE/Pro can use VSS (when run as admin) but can also support Touch (so SE/Pro do not need to be run as admin)

Usage of VSS (by anything) is conditional on the requirements and limitations set out in the linked KB article
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

BTW, your post seems to suggest you are backing up 'live' files saved [somewhere on D:] to another location [somewhere else on D:]

Have you considered what would happen if drive D developed a fault and could not be read? You might suddenly have no 'live' files accessible, and no accessible backup copies either...
jfneuch

Post by jfneuch »

Thank you very much for your help