Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

SyncBackFree V8.1.1.0 released

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

SyncBackFree V8.1.1.0 released

Post by mickyj »

SyncBackFree V8.1.1.0 has been released. See the history of changes page for details.
genm

Re: SyncBackFree V8.1.1.0 released

Post by genm »

Hello, I am not a computer savvy person but I do have a basic understanding. :)

I have been using SBFree for a few years now and never really had any backup problems. I downloaded this new upgrade yesterday and then did a backup. I now have 2286 errors showing on my C drive backup the most I've ever had was somewhere under 20. :shock: So scored a failure on the backup. I backed up a smaller F Drive and had no problems.

There are two files that the log says are the main offenders, 2251 errors:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_iphlpsvc_7362df3620acdb723b5245c74e2f3bea62710be_0dc2ace1\ Scan failed (5): Access is denied

\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\0452b139c0028863b533d8e09a51b305_e4f9e5a0-bdbe-4875-be56-edcfe80a2484 Failed to copy from Source : Cannot copy file (5): Access is denied

Is there a reason why these files are now non compliant with SBFree?
Is this a SBFree issue or something that has changed on my computer?
What can I do about it?

At the last backup on 30-04-2017 there were no issues on either drive.
I am using windows 7 home premium "32bits" I think.

JoeMarfice

Re: SyncBackFree V8.1.1.0 released

Post by JoeMarfice »

I realize this isn't a direct answer, but FWIW the WER directory contains nothing of use to your computer. It exists for error-reporting to Microsoft, and ostensibly for them to get back to you with answers (Don't know if that ever happens, because I turn it off).

Source

The MachineKeys folder OTOH is used to validate server/internet connections, and has a known issue with occasionally running amok. It's useful at the moment the file is created and used, but not later. If ANY service on your computer is currently talking to the internet when Syncback tries to copy, it might have that file momentarily locked, which would cause a copy error. Again, this isn't meaningful to your computer from a restore point-of-view; you can delete the entire folder and the contents will be recreated as needed.

Source

I don't know why 8.1.1.0 is causing errors you never saw before, but it might be coincidental. Anyway, my answer, without addressing SB itself, is that you can safely exclude these directories from backup.

Frankly, when I try to back up my C:\ drive I get MANY uncopyable (locked, in-use) files, so I'm amazed you don't have more errors like I do.