Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Is syncback for me?

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
mattrix

Is syncback for me?

Post by mattrix »

Sorry for such a basic question, but I've been looking on the web and getting conflicting information.

An example:
A source and destination directory structure are identical except:
File1 is only on the source
File2 is only on the destination
File3 is on both but is different

What I want is that after detecting these differences:
A new folder is created (preferably at a location specified by me)
File2 and File3 are copied from the destination to the new folder
Only File1 and file3 are copied from the source to the destination
File2 is deleted from the destination

I think syncBack calls this one direction copy mirroring, but I can't tell if mirroring will create the new directory and save the old files?
Conrad Chung
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Is syncback for me?

Post by Conrad Chung »

Hi, sorry but "File2 and File3 are copied from the destination to the new folder" is not supported.

SyncBack always preserves the directory structure and copies to the same Destination path/folder that the Source file is located at. It's not possible for SyncBack to copy/move such files to a different folder on its own (Restore would be a problem, since SyncBack would not know where to restore these files to)

In addition, for File2 to be deleted from the destination (in a Mirror profile), you need to ensure the Source file is not unchecked (from the Modify > Simple > Choosing sub-directories and files button, inside the Files & Folder Selection dialog) and that the same Source file is deleted.

Some users make the mistake thinking that if the Source file is unchecked from the File & Folder Selection dialog window, SyncBack would delete those unchecked files. Note that SyncBack will not process unchecked files (it ignores them). If you want File 2 to be deleted from the destination, you need to delete FIle 2 from source.
mattrix

Post by mattrix »

Hi Conrad,
Sorry I'm not sure of the terminology, hence my example.
When I say folder or directory I also mean directory structure if applicable.

"File2 and File3 are copied from the destination to the new folder"
these files would be deleted or overwritten from the destination when mirrored?
I think creating a copy first is called versioning?
Does syncback support versioning? how does it work, what are the copies called and where are they stored?

Oh, and you seem to imply that files are stored in a form only syncback can restore?
So if I wanted to restore a single file to source, I couldn't just copy it from the destination (or version location)?
mattrix

Post by mattrix »

mattrix wrote: these files would be deleted or overwritten from the destination when mirrored?
I meant at or in the destination folder, not "from"
Conrad Chung
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Conrad Chung »

mattrix wrote:these files would be deleted or overwritten from the destination when mirrored?
It depends on the rules you set under Modify > Decisions-Files, but by default, File 2 would be deleted, while File 3 at Source will overwrite the same file on Destination.
mattrix wrote:I think creating a copy first is called versioning? Does syncback support versioning?
Yes, Versioning is supported, but only for SyncBackSE/Pro V8. It's not supported in SyncBackFree/Lite.
mattrix wrote:how does it work, what are the copies called and where are they stored?
Versioning settings are located under:

Modify > Expert > Copy/Delete > Versioning

As a SyncBackFree user, you can still navigate to that settings tab in your profile, then press F1 to bring up the contextual Help file. The Help file will provide all the answers regarding Versioning.
mattrix wrote:Oh, and you seem to imply that files are stored in a form only syncback can restore?
So if I wanted to restore a single file to source, I couldn't just copy it from the destination (or version location)?
No, that's not what I meant. Which section of my previous reply did I imply that (I can provide further clarification)? Files backed up by SyncBack are copied as normal files, and can be restored even without the use of SyncBack application.
mattrix

Post by mattrix »

Thanks Conrad,
Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying.

Actually the help wasn't very useful, it does mention that a hidden folder can be created in the root of the backup.
All the old files are stored in this single folder?
It doesn't say what the structure of this folder is, or if the old files are renamed when they are stored.

Should I take this question to the SyncBack SE forum?
Conrad Chung
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Conrad Chung »

mattrix wrote:Thanks Conrad,
Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying.

Actually the help wasn't very useful, it does mention that a hidden folder can be created in the root of the backup.
All the old files are stored in this single folder?
It doesn't say what the structure of this folder is, or if the old files are renamed when they are stored.

Should I take this question to the SyncBack SE forum?
There are two ways to store your Versions, which are selectable as options on the Versioning settings page - in a hidden sub-folder of the folder that contains the original file or in a hidden sub-folder of the base folder. If you select the latter, then the versioned files will maintain the folder structure as the folders/files you are versioning.

When files are copied to the version hidden folder, they are renamed with the date/time stamp included in the filename, for example:

Test.doc will be renamed to test.170620060018.doc. The date/time stamp is in the YYMMDDHHMMSS format.