Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

syncback locks files when copying

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
matt123

syncback locks files when copying

Post by matt123 »

I am running a syncback profile every 30 minutes on a list of folders. I have a application that is writing to files in those folders. Every so often my application complains that one of those files its trying to write to is READONLY. I have realized that when syncback is backing up that file, it locks it so it cannot be changed mid-copy. Is that typical? Is there any way to disable this behavior? I don't really care if the copy gets corrupted if on the next pass of the profile it gets a good complete version of the file. I don't want syncback to lock the file from being written - I consider my application being able to write that file to be more important than there being an incomplete copy out there.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: syncback locks files when copying

Post by cliffhanger »

Yes, it's normal for the reason you figured out); no, it can't be disabled.

With the Lite (new to V8), SE & Pro versions you can opt to copy all files from the shadow-volume ('snapshot mode') which may avoid the issue by copying 'recent-state' of such a file (actually, of all files 'in scope') from the shadow-volume (using Windows' VSS) while leaving the 'real' copy of the file free to be written to by your application (catching up later/eventually).

Whether your (other) circumstances permit using VSS are discussed here. but you'd need to upgrade your SB 'model' as mentioned above / in the KB article from Free to one of the commercial models. You can install (alongside Free) for free evaluation for 30 days to test if it solves your issue, and decide from there.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: syncback locks files when copying

Post by cliffhanger »

Note: if the events happened to occur the other way around (SB Free tried to copy the file, only to find that it was already/still being written to by your own application), you'd get an 'in use' error from Free. Whereas Lite/SE/Pro models may be able to copy it anyway, using VSS (subject to the KB requirements) in the more usual 'ad hoc' mode (not using 'snapshot').

FYI, Lite/SE/Pro will try to use 'ad hoc' VSS by default as/when/if they hit an 'in use' error, but 'snapshot' requires opting-in to that mode in the profile beforehand and copying all files that way every run - however, snapshot-mode may be able to solve your issue regardless of the timings.