Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Want two computers exactly synced. Can't.

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
JoeMarfice

Want two computers exactly synced. Can't.

Post by JoeMarfice »

OK, I feel like I'm missing something really simple here.

I have a tower computer and a laptop. Both run Win10. SBF runs on the Tower, as Admin, every half-hour, and I want it to keep their D-drives identical. So, if I'm on EITHER computer and delete D:\foo.txt, within 30 minutes the other should also lose foo.txt. Instead, what happens is that foo shows up again on the first computer (it is back on both).

I don't want anything archived (I have a NAS for that, and do "dumb" copy-everything backups to there nightly). I just want to be able to change any file on either D: drive, and have that change reflected on the other computer. I realize this is probably something in my Decisions settings, but I can't figure out how to get it right.

Feeling kinda dumb... but this should be easy.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Want two computers exactly synced. Can't.

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi, you can't do this in the Free version, only in one of the commercial versions. Posts 1-3 of this topic have more background.

Note: that linked topic pre-dates the new 'SyncBackLite' version, which also supports Intelligent Synchronization, for minimum $ outlay; full version-comparison info here
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

This excerpt from the online version of the Help might assist also

https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/ ... ronize.htm
JoeMarfice

Post by JoeMarfice »

Thank you. And just to make me feel dumber... I already owned a SBPro license (v7), but forgot about it after a computer crash and rebuild.

So, I need to go home, reinstall SBPv7, turn off my SBFv8 profiles, and rebuild my profiles for SBP.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

Remember that Intelligent Synchronization works using a state-history database ('what was where last time each side', and associated metadata), so on run-1 (no database to refer to yet - it's going to build one...), it will be restricted in what it can figure out from 'current state'. If you plan to do any testing, do a 'first run' first (a live run, not a Simulation) and be prepared to manually intervene (in the Differences window) if it proposes to re-create something you deleted (or the converse), and so on.