Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

How do I move Syncback to a new computer?

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
cbiweb
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

How do I move Syncback to a new computer?

Post by cbiweb »

Sorry about posting a topic that's probably been discussed before, but the forum search finds all my search terms to be too common ('backup', 'computer', 'move', etc.)

I did find information on how to move the profiles, so that's not a problem. But... how do I move ALL my data? All my program preferences and such. Do I simply move the actual program folder and anything found in AppData?
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: How do I move Syncback to a new computer?

Post by cliffhanger »

Preferences menu (main GUI) > Options > Settings tab

Look at the 3rd section ('The settings are stored here') and make a note of the stated location. Click the path (it's a hyperlink) and it will open that location in Windows Explorer for you, with the file SETTINGS.INI (my caps) pre-selected. Grab a copy of this INI and place (copy) it into same location on new PC (replacing any default INI file with factory-default settings that is there ahead of you). You should probably install SBF on the new PC first to make sure the stated folders exist.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

PS re search, yes, the phpBB Search (built-in to the forum software) has its limitations. You could try the Advanced Search facility (hotlink to it near the top of nearly every screen). There's a wealth of search tips on the advanced Search page, including the section 'Use site: to Refine Search' which explains how to limit your search to 'only hits on' forum or KB, etc.
cbiweb
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by cbiweb »

Perfect, cliffhanger. Thanks! On both counts!
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

FOLLOW-UP to original question (as per topic subject)

You should also check for a file called DSETTINGS.INI in the same location as SETTINGS.INI and, if found, migrate a copy of DSETTINGS.INI likewise.

DSETTINGS.INI (if it exists) contains details of any program-wide* dialogs for which a ''Do not prompt me again' setting (or similar) has been specified.

* similar settings at the profile level are recorded in the profiles themselves; this INI contains program-level ('global') settings only