Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

One month of work lost !

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
f6dqm

One month of work lost !

Post by f6dqm »

Yes, it did just happened ! I use SBF to save my work every evening on an external HD.
Unfortunatly, I had to relaod my win7 system from a system back-up dated one month ago.
When restarting my computer, SBF runned immediatly my profile back-up and then crashed the yesterday back-up with the contents of files dating one month ago and ... I have lost my work of the last month !
I had not the time to restore my yesterday back-up in my computer !
Probably I miss some options in the configuration of SBF :
First, why did SBF run immediatly a back-up when I had reloaded my system instead of waiting for the planned time ?
Second, how is it possible that SBF replaces recent files by old files ? I could not find any option about that in the SBF menu.
Gab F6DQM
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: One month of work lost !

Post by cliffhanger »

1) There is a setting in a Scheduled Task (the MS-default is Yes, but you can change it) to 'Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed'. You can find it on the Misc tab of SB's Schedule drill-down dialog (or on the Settings tab of the underlying Windows Scheduled Task). If this setting was in place when you took your 'system backup dated one month ago', then it will of course be reloaded/remain the case when you perform a system Restore, and because it appears from the Task's own History that it last ran a month ago, it will take effect after booting (quite possibly 'immediately/unexpectedly')

You should note that this MS-defined option calculates its decision from Windows Task Scheduler's own Task History, not from any info stored by SB (though your system restore likely replaced any SB historical data anyway). So, SB did not decide to run your profile, Windows decided to run SB > your profile (subtle difference)

2) You didn't give details about your profile settings, but I would guess the top section of its Modify > Expert mode > Decisions - Files is set as 'Source overwrites Destination always (backup)''? Given that Source is usually where new/changed-content first manifests itself (because Source is where you do your work and save the results), this normally works 'as expected'. Unless, that is, you just changed the Source content wholesale to 'as of one month ago', and had agreed that your PC would start running SB > that profile as soon as possible/able after your PC thinks a run was missed - in which case in every instance where a file exists on both sides, the (old) Source file will win. Any instances of newer files on your external drive (that did not exist a month ago, so do not now exist on your Source) may - if your profile is set up as a Mirror - also be deleted, as part of the normal housekeeping of a Mirror profile

It's a little late now, but for future reference, simply unplugging the external drive during the first boot and allowing the late-start Scheduled run to Fail (because 'Destination unreachable') would have solved it (provided your very next move is to Restore the latest copy of the data)

Or, you could consider arranging things so you have a system disk and a data disk (or, with slightly less security, a similar concept using partitions), in which case you should find that a system restore doesn't also move your data 'back in time' in the first place...
f6dqm

Post by f6dqm »

Thank you very much for the answer.
Thanks to your message, I could set the SBF sofware so that what happened to me could not happen again.
Back-up is now runned only at the planned time. No retry when launching the computer. Profiles are set so that only new files and more recents files are saved.
Really, it is not so easy to find and understand the numereous settings of the software.
Many thank again
Gab
f6dqm

Post by f6dqm »

Just another question : When back-up automatically starts, it runs in the background and I have no way to verify or to control how it runs.
Is there an option to make the main window of SBF open when a back-up starts ?
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

IIRC, you need to force Windows not to run the temporary instance of SB (that the Task calls/uses) in a hidden session called session-0 (for MS's idea of security reasons) by setting the Task to 'Run only when user is logged on'. As you might expect, this means you cannot log out of Windows when you break for evening meal (for example) while the backup runs, because if you are not logged in, [the Task > SB copy > profile] will not start/run any more. You must now remain logged in while you expect such a Scheduled run to take place, or it will not happen.

That setting is on the Security tab of the main Schedule dialog in SB (or, on the General tab of the actual Task if editing Task direct in Windows)

The above should make SB run visibly, but Minimized (to Taskbar or to tray, depending on your SB global Preferences settings). It will not make it 'pop up' as the topmost foreground application unless you also edit the command string directly in the Scheduled Task to remove the -m switch & include the -n switch, so that the arguments section of the the Task change from

-m "Example Profile Name"

to

-n "Example Profile Name"

or similar (it depends exactly what your command line was set up to do before).

There is a KB article that gives an example how to get to the command string and arguments parts of a Scheduled Task; although this article relates to adding a new switch rather than changing one, you may find it useful. NOTE: section 8 of this article refers to a Windows bug that can and does (still...) happen erratically (i.e. 'not always') when editing the command strings of a Task. Click No if you see such a prompt when OK'ing out of a Task command string/argument edit, or you will find your Task is broken thereafter.
f6dqm

Post by f6dqm »

Thanks. It works. Maybe an option in the menus would be more convenient than editing the Windows Task Scheduler ?
Happy new year.
Gab F6DQM