Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Is a "Backup" profile identical to a "Mirror" profile if settings are changed to match?

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
1DumSpark
Experienced
Experienced

Is a "Backup" profile identical to a "Mirror" profile if settings are changed to match?

Post by 1DumSpark »

I noticed one of my SyncBack profiles - the most important one - is listed as a "Backup" type instead of a "Mirror" type. Since it was the first profile I created, I probably selected "Backup" instead of "Mirror" when I created it without fully understanding the difference (at the time).

When I go into the expert settings, everything with the "Backup" profile looks identical to all the "Mirror" profiles. I'm thinking I realized that I should have made it a "Mirror" profile, and adjusted all the settings to mimic a "Mirror" profile (which IIRC is just a couple settings).

So here's my question: If a "Backup" profile has all the same settings as a "Mirror" profile, do they perform identically? IOW, is it just a minor aesthetic difference that SyncBack still shows that profile as a "Backup" profile?

(I would just recreate that profile, but is has scores of inclusions and exclusions that would be a pain to recreate manually.)

If it is just an aesthetic difference, might I propose that SyncBack recognize how a profile is currently configured, and display its type accordingly?

Thanks in advance for help and feedback.
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: Is a "Backup" profile identical to a "Mirror" profile if settings are changed to match?

Post by mmullins_98 »

Mirroring ensures that one drive (or folder) contains the same files as another drive (or folder). It is not the same as a backup because it deletes files. It is also not the same as synchronization because it only copies files in one direction.

Look at the options under "Decisions-Files" and there is where the difference between Backup & Mirror should be. Specifically the option "What to do if a file exists on Destination but not on Source".
1DumSpark
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Is a "Backup" profile identical to a "Mirror" profile if settings are changed to match?

Post by 1DumSpark »

mmullins_98 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:26 am
Mirroring ensures that one drive (or folder) contains the same files as another drive (or folder). It is not the same as a backup because it deletes files. It is also not the same as synchronization because it only copies files in one direction.

Look at the options under "Decisions-Files" and there is where the difference between Backup & Mirror should be. Specifically the option "What to do if a file exists on Destination but not on Source".
Thanks. I agree with everything you wrote. But my question is: "If you change the setting of that option, is there now any difference between a "Backup" profile and a "Mirror" profile?"
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Post by mmullins_98 »

The way it is. See viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12781
1DumSpark
Experienced
Experienced

Post by 1DumSpark »

mmullins_98 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:39 pm
The way it is. See viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12781
Thanks. It's really odd and looks like a bug. Hopefully the devs can work on it.