Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

How to copy case-sensitive folder?

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
cagross
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

How to copy case-sensitive folder?

Post by cagross »

Hello. I've created a SyncBack profile to backup a folder which is located on another computer, so the backup is occurring over the network. When I run the profile, SyncBack fails to copy that folder, with the error:

Code: Select all

Scan failed (442): The file cannot be opened because the path has a case-sensitive directory. 

The folder is indeed case-sensitive, was intentionally made that way by me, and needs to remain case-sensitive. Is there any way to allow SyncBack to copy this case-sensitive folder? If not, other than making the folder case-insensitive, do I have any other options to backup this folder with SyncBack?

Thanks in advance.
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: How to copy case-sensitive folder?

Post by mmullins_98 »

You don't say what the OS is on neither the source nor the destination. This is important as we just guess and may be wrong. Please provide if the below guess is wrong.
Syncback ignores the case and can’t work properly in some instances when it might matter.

Windows doesn't care what the case is so perhaps one or both computers might not be Windows. Perhaps the other computer is Linux and has two directories that only differ in the case. Syncback would not know which you want to open so it flags an error.
cagross
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by cagross »

OK yes, sorry about that--forgot the OS. The OS on both computers is Windows 10. But on the source computer, I actively took steps to change the folder in-question from case insensitive to case sensitive. This is because the folder in-question is a Git repo, which in this case needs the folder to be case sensitive. So I have to leave the folder as case sensitive.

Thoughts? Is there a way to tell Syncback to ignore case sensitivity when copying this folder?
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Post by mmullins_98 »

OK, Syncback can not likely solve your problem as it is stated that in itself Syncback is case-insensitive. It cannot differentiate between 2 files or directories that differ only by case.
The link below may provide you with a work around on the Git repo side.

https://dzone.com/articles/git-and-the- ... ensitivity
cagross
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by cagross »

OK thanks for the info--I appreciate it. In this case, I can live without backing up this folder.