Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Out of memory error

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
wolfnowl

Out of memory error

Post by wolfnowl »

Hi There:

I've been using Syncback Free for several years to back up my internal hard drive once a week to a USB hard drive. Lately I keep getting some variation of the same message: "Failed to scan files: Internal Error: ScanTree exception: Out of memory (Destination)"

This has never happened before. Using Syncback Free v10, and the latest version of Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, 16GB RAM. I've run scans on and optimized both drives. Rebooting does nothing, and the free space on the external drive is larger than the internal hard drive.

Any assistance appreciated.

Mike.
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: Out of memory error

Post by mmullins_98 »

It may be helpful if you describe your profile and path for the source and destination. Is your profile type a mirror, a sync or a backup?
Are you in fact copying your entire internal drive?
wolfnowl

Post by wolfnowl »

Hi There: It's the same profile I've been running for years. Once a week I backup the c:\ drive to an external USB drive. It's a backup: new/modified files are copied to external. Files only on the external are ignored. There are always errors from Windows system files that can't be cpied. I get that. But it's only recently I've been unable to run the backup.

Mike.
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Post by mmullins_98 »

One answer from Developer Mickeyj:
"Hi, "Out of memory" is related to RAM, not disk space. So if you have thousands of files then it's possible to run out of memory when SyncBackFree gets the list of files to copy. One solution is to split the profile into two or more profiles (with each copying a different sub-folders) and put them into a group. A better solution is to use 64-bit SyncBackSE or SyncBackPro."

Also concerning copying your entire drive, it may be a waste of time. Consider the folowing:

"To make an exact copy of your drive you must use "disk imaging" software. With disk imaging, the entire disk (the parts that are used) is copied bit-by-bit. This means the copy will take up a lot of disk space, and take much longer to copy.

Your Windows operating environment is constantly changing. Programs are installed, updated, uninstalled, and settings are changed. Many important security specific applications are also regularly and automatically updated. Anyone who users their computer to connect to the Internet should have in place Anti-Virus, Firewall, and Anti-Spyware programs, all now available from within the Windows operating system. These issues, combined with the much longer, costlier (more disks), and less convenient (more time consuming) disk imaging process inevitably means that for the average user, disk imaging is carried out far less frequently than the kind of backup SyncBack delivers.

Because disk imaging makes an exact copy of your original drive it also means that any virus or malware infection on the original drive (as well as any other problem) will also be there in the backup image. When you restore from that image then you'll be reinfected and have the same problems.

SyncBack copies all your important files in a fast, up to date, and reliable manner. Windows and programs can be reinstalled, your data files cannot."
wolfnowl

Post by wolfnowl »

Mickeyj: Thank you for your response. I'm not trying to image my disc. As you mentioned, that would be a waste of time. I'm just running a weekly incremental backup. Yes, I have Norton Antivirus, and yes, I have a folder with all of my program install files and a list of license serial numbers. I'll try breaking up the profile into segments. I was concerned because I've never come across this error before.

Mike.