Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Sync causing general system lag

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
chrwei

Sync causing general system lag

Post by chrwei »

I've got a fairly large sync that runs off a network share over a VPN. it can take a couple hours, and goes at about 1MiB/s, which is fine.

The issue is, it's causing lag in various programs. I pause the sync and the lag stops. resume and it lags again. This isn't even things that use disk or network, or are particularly intensive in anyway.

A common, easy to reproduce example:

Create a Visual Studio C# Winforms project. Open the new blank form. Start a Sync. Change the form's font size. Visual studio then lags for 5-10 seconds for something that normally takes under a second. Adding a new form takes over a minute!

CPU use low, ram use about 50%, disk use mostly 0% but peaks of 5% or less.

as a developer, I can't even imagine what's going on here. some reflection issue? win32 api use gone wrong? attaching to a system thread somewhere and waiting on UI invokes?

The sync isn't even to the same drive letter as my VS install or my project files.

Anyone else experience this or is there something odd on my system?