Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Ghost folders S:\found.004

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
LtBr

Ghost folders S:\found.004

Post by LtBr »

Using SyncBackFree V10.2.14.0 (32-bit) V10.2.14.0 32-bit on two systems :
  • a desktop running Windows 10 professional
    A laptop running Windows 10 Home
I use the same external USB HD on both systems.

On the desktop I have a Syncback profile that backups the HD S:\ to a NAS folder.
for quite some time it generates errors about a few folders S:\found.000 to S:\found.003, some empty, some with a few files in it. On inspection the files appeared to be superfluous and I deleted them.
The number of errors got fewer, and contained only messages about the empty folders now. Then I deleted the folders, but to my surprise there still are 4 errors like:
18:05:18 S:\found.000\ Scannen is mislukt (5): Toegang geweigerd (Scanning was not succesful - Access denied)

I cannot find those folders on S:\ anymore (and yes, explorer is set to display hidden and system files), but when I try to create a folder like S:\found.000 it is not created, stating that a folder with that name is already present.

I am out of options now.
Who can enlighten me?

Leo
ajs
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Ghost folders S:\found.004

Post by ajs »

These contain corrupted files which windows has tried to recover. There a number of articles on the web regarding these folders, this is one of them.

https://www.howtogeek.com/282798/what-a ... n-windows/

As this is external disk and you are moving it between systems are you dismounting it correctly when you unplug it. If not correctly dismounted any file operations in progress could cause corruption, also the disk potentially will not power down correctly and anything it has cached may not be written to the actual disk. For similar reasons power cuts can also cause these issues. Lastly it may be just that the disk is just dying.

Hope this is of help.

Andrew.