Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Unattended backups to network share always fail

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
nvx

Unattended backups to network share always fail

Post by nvx »

I have several backup profiles (mirrors) with the destination being a network share (CIFS). Until recently, these had worked flawlessly. In the last couple of days, however, unattended runs (every night) always end with the critical error "Cannot connect to Destination : The specified password is invalid". No other information is given in the log.

Running the profiles manually works as expected. Checking whether the destination is accessible (via [profile] > Network > Network connection details for Destination > Test connection) ends with "Success".

Credentials for the destination network share are saved in the Windows 10 Credential Manager (and, of course, are correct, because I am able to access the share via, e.g., Windows Explorer). Specifying the username and password manually in the backup profiles (Network > Network connection details for Destination) makes no difference.

Has anyone else been experiencing this? Is there anything in particular in SyncBack settings or configuration of the profiles I should check to resolve the issue?

Thanks.

nvx
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: Unattended backups to network share always fail

Post by mmullins_98 »

You might check in the windows task scheduler and make sure you have selected "Run only when user is logged on".
nvx

Post by nvx »

Thank you. This is what I have unchecked because the machine may restart due to Windows updates from time to time, and even then I would like the backups to be run.

Still, I will give this a try and report back tomorrow whether it helped or not.
ajs
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ajs »

Make sure that the username and password is set in the SyncBack profile, I have had problems with scheduled tasks not being able to access the credential manager in the past.

Andrew.
nvx

Post by nvx »

Thank you. Originally, the username and password were specified in the profiles, but several days ago the backups started to produce errors. Then I tried to remove the credentials (no improvement), and now the username and password are again saved in the profile settings.

As for changing the task properties to "Run only when user is logged on" in the Windows scheduler (as per my previous post), this did help. However, such a setup also means that if Windows decides to update -- and restart -- itself during the night, the backups will not be run (i.e., the whole backup process would not be reliable). :(
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Post by mmullins_98 »

As with all things involving Windows the following may change but I believe your concerns are addressed.

"You can speed up the Windows sign-in process by turning on Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up after an update to automatically sign in and set up your PC after an update or restart. Windows will then lock your device to help keep your account and personal info safe.

When Windows Update initiates an automatic reboot, ARSO (Winlogon automatic restart sign-on) extracts the currently logged in user's derived credentials, persists it to disk, and configures Autologon for the user. Windows Update running as system with TCB privilege will initiate the RPC call to do this.

After the final Windows Update reboot, the user will automatically be logged in via the Autologon mechanism, and the user's session is rehydrated with the persisted secrets. Additionally, the device is locked to protect the user's session. The locking will be initiated via Winlogon whereas the credential management is done by the Local Security Authority (LSA). Upon a successful ARSO configuration and login, the saved credentials are immediately deleted from disk."

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enable-or ... s-11.3324/
nvx

Post by nvx »

Oh, this is wonderful, than you for the hint! :)
jiboom

Post by jiboom »

mmullins_98 thanks for the link, it's a really helpful and detailed guide.