Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Verify takes longer than the copy function

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
DPF

Verify takes longer than the copy function

Post by DPF »

v 10.2.88.0
When I use the latest version the verify file process takes longer than the copy process. The verify is very slow for some reason. Is anyone else having this issue?
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: Verify takes longer than the copy function

Post by mmullins_98 »

From: https://help.2brightsparks.com/support/ ... -correctly

The drawback to verification is time. Verification can triple a profile's run time. If time is not an issue it is strongly recommended that verification is enabled. You can also reduce time by filtering out what files are verified. For example, you may only want to verify documents, or may not want to verify executable files.

If a copy of a file is not identical to the original then the log file will contain the following error message: The copy is not identical to the original. The original file may have been modified after it was copied. This means the copy is not identical to the original, but it is worth noting that it does not mean the copy is corrupted or invalid. In some cases it may be that the original file was modified between the time it was copied and the time the verification was made. However, corrupted or not, the copy is not the same as the original.

A related option is Make safe copies. By default this option is enabled, and if you are using verification then it is strongly recommended that you also enable this option. This ensures that a corrupted file will never replace the existing copy. When this option is ticked SyncBack will copy files in a two stage process: first it will copy the file and use a temporary filename, then it will replace the destination file with the temporary copy (renaming it accordingly) if the copy was a success. This avoids problems where the destination file may be deleted because the original file could not be copied, e.g. because it is locked, or corrupt. With FTP, Safe Copy is actually a three stage process as it must delete the file being replaced before renaming the temporary copy.
DPF

Re: Verify takes longer than the copy function

Post by DPF »

Thank you so much for a fine detailed explanation. I now see why it takes longer to go through the verification process. As you described it in your post it makes sense.

I checked my settings and now have them correctly set up to make safe copies since I am enabling verification.

Thanks for the tip.