Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Does SyncBack Touch require a static IP address at the remote computer?

SyncBack Touch is a cross-platform (Windows, macOS, Linux and Android) file server for use with SyncBackPro and SyncBackSE. It is free to use with SyncBackPro/SE V10 or newer. For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
dwalker59
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Does SyncBack Touch require a static IP address at the remote computer?

Post by dwalker59 »

If the remote computer being backed up is on a typical Internet Service Provider, its IP address will change regularly.

I am surprised that this is not mentioned anywhere in the documentation -- the doc does not say that 1) SyncBack Touch can somehow keep up with IP address changes, or 2) it does not warn that Touch will stop working when the IP address of the remote computer is changed by the ISP.(unless the config on the main computer is changed each time the remote computer changes its IP address).

It seems that one, or the other, of these situations must be the case, and I think that either one deserves a mention in the doc (I could be wrong about this).

Maybe I missed where this was documented. If so, I apologize.

If Touch stops working when the remote IP address changes, this seems to negate most (or all) of the wonderfulness of the Touch product. (Most FTP servers can query a dynamic DNS service to find the IP address of a computer whose address can change. Does Touch do this?)

Comments? Thanks.

David
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: Does SyncBack Touch require a static IP address at the remote computer?

Post by mmullins_98 »

This may be relavant in your case:
Network Problems
SyncBack cannot find SyncBack Touch: SyncBack can only find a SyncBack Touch device if it's on the same local network as SyncBack itself. It cannot find SyncBack Touch devices over the Internet. To find Touch devices SyncBack uses a broadcast on UDP port 24671. You may need to configure your firewall appropriately.

See:
https://www.2brightsparks.com/resources ... ofile.html
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Does SyncBack Touch require a static IP address at the remote computer?

Post by Kostas »

If SyncBack Touch is running on a remote computer over the internet and its host computer public IP is not static but dynamic then you can use a dynamic DNS service for the host computer and then use that hostname in your SyncBackPro/SE profile. Remember to disable the option "Find and connect to the SyncBack Touch device using its name" in the profile. Also you will need to open the corresponding port (8080 by default unless you've changed it) on the remote site's router and do a port forwarding to the local host computer IP as well.

In general it's similar to a FTP client-server setup.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]