Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Feature Suggestion: Google Docs Backup

An area of the forum to post ideas for new products or discuss things that are not related to 2BrightSparks products
bfloeagle

Feature Suggestion: Google Docs Backup

Post by bfloeagle »

Feature Suggestion for SyncBackPro... Google just announced that they support uploading any file, no matter what type, to Google Docs and support uploading files as large as 1024mb (as long as they are not set to be converted to a Google Doc format, IE: movie files and executables).

http://www.google.com/google-d-s/whatsnew.html
http://docs.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=50092
(From the above link: Files that you store but don't convert can't be larger than 1 GB each)

How about adding a Google Docs backup option in addition to Drive HQ backup option?
stephen6

I definitely cast my vote for being able to backup to Google

Post by stephen6 »

I definitely cast my vote for being able to backup to Google Docs. I'm going to buy 1TB of space on Google Docs, and it would be perfect if I could backup with SyncBack rather than zipping files and doing bulk uploads.

Google Docs is the best off site backup solution for me. Better than a safe deposit box at the bank.
meizy

Post by meizy »

this is the #1 feature I'm missing in SyncBack.

pls note many people use Google Docs as their primary documents store, so the local disk on the PC is the backup media, and not vice versa.

need to consider the Export Format (doc, PDS, etc.) when exporting from Google Docs.

thx!
emagin

Post by emagin »

Is this on the roadmap or still an idea?
I use google docs so much but really miss the whole drag n drop file moving ability.

They offer a webdav api, is it possible to tap into that?
emagin

Post by emagin »

It appears Cyberduck open source tool can do this.
I am able to list Gdocs folders and contents with no issues.
http://trac.cyberduck.ch/wiki/help/en/howto/googledocs
siezear

Post by siezear »

I am trying to do just this - back up to Google Docs - they offer 1GB free, and the pricing ($5 for 20GB per year) is unbeatable.

I have combined syncback with Gladinet (creates a filesystem interface to google docs (or a number of other cloud storage providers) and managed to get a simple transfer of files back and forth.

The problem I have is that Google docs doesn't appear to keep the file creation date or modification date (or Gladinet doesn't report it) and the file sizes are sometimes slightly different. What it shows is the date / time the file was uploaded. A hash comparison is no good because it takes too long over an internet connection to generate the hash file.

Does anyone have any good suggestions as how this might be achieved - if we could do so this would be the absolute cheapest cloud storage back-up solution by far!

Looking around the forum I saw a post about how synback manages sync/backup into a compressed file on a ftp storage - cleaverly modifying the title of the zip file to include some details e.g. modified date - that would be a perfect way to manage this - can anyone think of a way this could be scripted?

Cheers
emagin

Post by emagin »

I found Gladinet interesting but buggy and confusing (for other sync activities, not just backup).

If it's working, great solution.
Annada

Re: Feature Suggestion: Google Docs Backup

Post by Annada »

Is this on the roadmap or still an idea?
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Feature Suggestion: Google Docs Backup

Post by Dave Wilkins »

The best answer is probably that we haven't ruled it out completely but it's not imminent. Google Storage (not Docs) - as an S3-compatible service - is included in the forthcoming V6, as is Amazon S3 itself, and also Windows/MS Azure
rsadana1

Re: What about YouSendIT

Post by rsadana1 »

Hi,

Has anyone looked into the new YouSendIt backup disk. I recently starter their trial account and started using Syncback SE with it. So far, no problems. It has just been one day and I have only backed up 20GB. Curious if anyone has any prior experience with it.

Thanks

Rajat