Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

File Move Wizard

An area of the forum to post ideas for new products or discuss things that are not related to 2BrightSparks products
morice
Advanced
Advanced

Re: File Move Wizard

Post by morice »

It did promt for source correctly this time, but still get the error:
'Compression error: Cannot open zip file. (503)'.

Had the profile set to
Source: C:\Users\Maurice\Desktop\
Destin: C:\Users\Maurice\Desktop\Desktop.zipx

Created two random folders, one with 2 files in it, the other empty. Then used 'selection is destination, ask for source' to try and copy the files to the empty folder as a zipx.
morice
Advanced
Advanced

Post by morice »

Windows didn't ask for reboot, and the shell name was updated nicely. Did a reboot anyway just in case, but no change. v6.2.0.3 Win7 x64
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Dave Wilkins »

Not sure I follow exactly (and I'm feeling my way through this too :)) but bear the following in mind

- Whatever location string (Source or Dest) you nominate to be replaced (as set in the profile) is replaced entirely. It's the same as using the -source and/or -dest switches in a command-line (followed by an argument, which is what you right-click or select, as applicable / depending what you said to change and what to leave as set in the profile). You need to pre-set a single-Zip profile's Destination to a file-name yes (not a folder) but the entire string is replaced if you opt to do so 'from' Explorer.

- a profile set to compress all Source files to a single-Zip (Zipx, whatever) is expecting a file-name, not a folder. Thus, if you set up such a profile and use the 'Selected folder is Source, prompt me for Destination' option, it opens a dialog for the latter part locked to files. If you try and use it to select a folder, it will Open that folder instead, and await your choice of a file inside it)

You can get this to work by right-clicking in the right pane of that Destination dialog (once it is displaying the 'parent' location of where you want the output), selecting New Text File (etc), then editing the default name of the resulting new file to the Zipx filename you want. Then select that file, and click the Open button, which will poke the path and file-name into the profile.

(Obviously, you could pre-create such a dummy archive file beforehand also, then just select it)

What you cannot do (and expect it to work) is set it to 'use selection as Destination' for such a profile. Why? Because

a) the Pro context menu option is not there if you right-click a file, only if you right-click a folder. Thus, you can only invoke this functionality at all for a folder > >

b) if you do right-click a folder and 'use as Destination' you are passing a folder name to a profile that needs a string terminating in a file name. Thus, error...
morice
Advanced
Advanced

Post by morice »

That last part is indeed the error I was getting. I also understand why, but i was trying to help make it foolproof.

When using 'selection is source' that is no problem, it indeed prompts for a folder to place it in, and will not continue until a filename is typed (no need to pre-create one). But as expected, without extension unless you type one.

If possible, a preset filename using the source folder's name (plus extension) would be most convenient. Maybe even a warning when no extension is used.

As for using 'selection is dest' with compression, that isn't really logical to do in the first place, but ideally such a dead-end should be prevented before resulting in a error at all, right? Possibly gray-out the 'selection is dest' option from the dropdown when a profile using compression is 'detected', or similar.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Note that a new beta (V6.2.0.5) has been uploaded because the shell extension had some serious issues, i.e. it may have run the wrong profile or even executed a different shell extension entirely! It's strongly recommended that anyone using the beta upgrade to this latest beta.

We've not yet had a chance to resolve the issue of Zip files (where the destination folder is being used), but we're working on it.
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Dave Wilkins »

Follow-up from previous two posts...

Sorry, I thought you were asking for explanation (thus, supplied). Now I get it that you were reporting it.

BTW, re
morice wrote:Possibly gray-out the 'selection is dest' option from the dropdown when a profile using compression is 'detected', or similar.
1) presumably you mean 'using single-Zip compression' (individual-Zip compression works fine to a standard folder anyway)
2) problem is, what if someone changes the underlying profile to 'single-Zip' after nomination as a context-menu entry?

Anyhow, MickyJ says he's working on it, so we'll see what happens...
morice
Advanced
Advanced

Post by morice »

Thanks, yes that's what i meant, single zip.
2) problem is, what if someone changes the underlying profile to 'single-Zip' after nomination as a context-menu entry?
It should be a rare scenario, so maybe a pop-up message when trying to execute is enough, saying "Cannot continue as 'selection is destination' using a profile set to single file compression, please use 'selection is source' instead, or disable single file compression". With buttons: Cancel, Shell Extension Settings, Profile Settings.
morice
Advanced
Advanced

Post by morice »

Or even better, make it work with a ingeniously scripted workaround :wink: