Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Portable version of Syncback Free (NI)...

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
Thierry

Portable version of Syncback Free (NI)...

Post by Thierry »

Hello !

I would like downloading the "portable version" of the new Syncback Free (NI), because i'm not administrator of my computer.
I do not find the link for this download on your site.
Now, i'm using the "SyncBack_Setup_NI_6.3.19.0" portable version.
It works good, but i forget the adress for downloading the "NI" versions.
Can you help me ?
Thank you very much and...
All my excuses for the mistakes with english (I'm belgian and my langage is french) :oops:

Thierry
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Portable version of Syncback Free (NI)...

Post by Dave Wilkins »

Hi, there's a link in the KB article:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... age-device
Thierry

Post by Thierry »

Thank you very much for your reply with the link, Mr. Wilkins ! :)

Thierry.
mathwefer

Post by mathwefer »

Hi All/Dave,

Can you please let me know whether this portable versions modify/store any information in windows registery when run as portable programe?

My requirement is make sure that this programe will help me to do backup without keeping any trace of it in the windows registry (it should not be shown as installed programe too) but only in windows folder as files.

Once you confirm, I will try the free version to tests and the buy Pro version for more features that I wanted.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards,

Mathew
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Dave Wilkins »

Hi

We can't 101% guarantee, but registry entries (if any) are only created by the installer EXE (which in a no-install scenario doesn't happen / there isn't one). However, we cannot guarantee 100% that folders would not be created in the logged-on user's Windows-profile area, because it depends on how Windows (on that machine) identifies the drive type you are running SB from. There is at least one post somewhere on here (may not be Free, could be SE or Pro) where the user reported global settings & new profiles were stored by default on the PC, because the main EXE somehow was fooled into thinking the drive it was running from was internal.

However, I just checked by running the program from the extracted NI Zip (extracted to a flash drive on a PC without Free; flash drive was correctly shown as Removable in Explorer) and no such folders (or reg entries) were created in respect of it. So if the drive type is identified OK, it seems to do what we told it to...

All I can suggest is try it. Check after running via Preferences > Options > Expert > top section, which should be locked to 'same as program', and the section below it should show SETTINGS.INI as being stored on your external drive. If not, Windows has mis-identified the drive-type to us, and you'll need to clean up after yourself (the top section has an Open* button if so)

(* if it's working correctly, that Open button will - in the NI scenario - only open the program folder on the removable drive. But if not, it will presumably open all three potential locations in a window each for easy deletes)

NOTE: Please don't PM members of staff unless it's to pass on sensitive information that can't be posted in the forum. For one thing it deprives others of seeing the question & answer (maybe via a search), for another it prevents other members of staff being able to see the question exists at all (PM is private internally also) and finally it prevents any of us from being able to link to the answer rather than type it all again. Also, you can't simply scroll back through a thread to see who said what, when & why. You end up jumping from main forum to Inbox to Sent Items to :x

This applies especially to freeware ;) c/o the following

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... ort-policy
http://www.2brightsparks.com/bb/viewtop ... =29&t=9660
Giulia
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by Giulia »

Dave Wilkins wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:25 pm

hi
but are they updated?
because SyncBackProV964_Setup_NI.zip is not the last version v9.0.7.9
thanks
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Kostas »

Giulia wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:35 pm
Dave Wilkins wrote:

hi
but are they updated?
thanks
Hi,

I've just downloaded and tested the 64-bit Non-Install version of SBPro. It's the latest release version.
Annotation 2019-07-03 070538.jpg
Annotation 2019-07-03 070538.jpg (34.2 KiB) Viewed 24215 times

I would suggest clearing your brower's cache and retry the download.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
Giulia
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by Giulia »

Kostas wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:11 am
Giulia wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:35 pm
Dave Wilkins wrote:

hi
but are they updated?
thanks
Hi,

I've just downloaded and tested the 64-bit Non-Install version of SBPro. It's the latest release version.

Annotation 2019-07-03 070538.jpg

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
Hi Kostas
i run ccleaner (clean almost everything outside passwords.. ), re-download and yes it's the last version
sorry i should have done before posting

thanks Kostas
Giulia
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by Giulia »

Kostas wrote:

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
hi
could the portable version avoid to write in the windows event and task scheduler please?
and maybe emty folders in the user folder w10
this is an example
thanks
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Kostas »

Giulia wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:05 am
Kostas wrote:

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
hi
could the portable version avoid to write in the windows event and task scheduler please?
and maybe emty folders in the user folder w10
this is an example
thanks
Hi,

We have made the change and it will be included in the next release. In the future, Syncback will create entries in the Task Scheduler only when the user creates a scheduled profile or if an imported profile includes a schedule.

As for the Windows Event log, Syncback will not write anything there unless the option "Use the Windows Event Log" is enabled under Global Settings -> Expert.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]