Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Backup Office 2007 settings

An area of the forum to post ideas for new products or discuss things that are not related to 2BrightSparks products
sbwul
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Backup Office 2007 settings

Post by sbwul »

Up front: I donot know whether this falls within the 2BrightSparks policy. Vainly tried to find whether this idea has been launched before.

As from Office 2007 there is no backup wizard to save the Office settings. In the past (Office 2003), in case of a new install, one cud simply import the previous settings, which saves a lot of work and time of setting up.

Think there is just one application doing that (search for Office Settings Backup Wizard)
and (regretfully) it is payware ($50).
I am no expert, but I guess one way or the other it _seems_ to be possible to backup the status / settings ?

Maybe 2BrightSparks cud consider to develop a new feature?
Separate module (not all of use want this).

Well, it just an idea.

--
ShockDiamond

Re: Backup Office 2007 settings

Post by ShockDiamond »

This is a totally valid question because Microsoft is a load of boobs that basically screwed us for exporting account settings.

Having gotten that off my chest, you can manually back up the registry: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\WIndows Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles

This will not automatically back up with SyncBack, but you normally wouldn't create a new email account every day, so you can manually export the registry data to your <user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ location where your PST file is by default, then have SyncBack backup that folder.
sbwul
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by sbwul »

Thanks.
Most of the postings on Internet involve the backup of Outlook matters.
In the past , uptil version 2003, Office included a kind of settings backup function.
This is missing as from 2007 and one can buy a third party tool to do this. As far as I know it is the only tool.
Backup Excel/Word settings, toolbars, buttons, etc.etc.

I think if a third party tool can do it, maybe it would be something for SBPro.

=
sbwul
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by sbwul »

It seems that one has to copy the .qat files (quick access toolbar)

from C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Office
(where %username% must be replaced by your current login name)

and also make a copy of the options settings - they are said to
be stored in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0

Copy the entire 12.0 .reg and keep it on a save place together with the .qat files.

I have not tested this though...

=
sbwul
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by sbwul »

Hopefully, one day it might be in SB Pro
Office 2010, 2013 settings/configuration