Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Mirror v Backup

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
Essex133

Mirror v Backup

Post by Essex133 »

I want all my profiles to mirror the contents of the source to the destination. I have also checked rename the file on the destination on all profiles. And all but two of my profiles are marked as mirror. But the remaining two are marked as backup and I cannot see any differences in the setups?

Can anyone tell me the difference between mirror and backup and how to make all my profiles mirrored please?
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: Mirror v Backup

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

A Backup/Mirror profile, copies all files within scope from Source (not otherwise de-selected/filtered-out) that are 'absent' or 'different' on the Destination. But the major difference between a Backup and Mirror profiles is in the deletion of destination ‘only’ files (files that are present only on destination but not on source).

A Backup profile keeps/retains files on destination that you may have deleted or moved from the Source (no longer needed file). It specifically does not delete anything on the Destination that is not on the Source. However, a Mirror profile will delete files/folders on Destination which are deleted on the Source, thereby making both Source/Destination a 'Mirror/1-to-1' set of each other (with same sizes on the Source and Destination). Therefore, the Decision-Files settings page of a Mirror profile (by default) is configured to delete files from destination that are not there on source (Decision-Files > What to do if a file exists on destination but not on source), whereas a Backup profile is set to simply skip the destination only files.

Thank you.
Essex133

Post by Essex133 »

Thank you very much for the explanation, which is what I thought the differences were. But I still don't know why this profile is marked as backup instead of mirror when I have checked delete files on destination that are not on the source [img]
backup profile.JPG
backup profile.JPG (105.38 KiB) Viewed 15063 times
[/img] I have uploaded a screen print of all my profiles and as you can see all but 2 are mirrored [img]
all groups mirrored except 2.JPG
all groups mirrored except 2.JPG (102.58 KiB) Viewed 15063 times
[/img]

How do I change the 2 that are marked as backup to make them mirrored please?
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

I conducted some tests on my end changing the Decision-Files and Decision-Files > Folders setting pages as shown in your screen shot, but I couldn’t reproduce your issue. So, can you please export your profile configuration and send it to [email protected] for further investigation.

Thank you.
Essex133

Post by Essex133 »

Thank you very much. I have just sent you the exported profile.
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Sorry, but we haven't received your profile configuration. Can you please resend it to [email protected]

Thank you.
Essex133

Post by Essex133 »

Just sent it again. Thank you
Essex133

Post by Essex133 »

Thank you very much for your help Swapna! It had been driving me crazy for weeks. I just find it very strange indeed that simply by changing the Modify mode to Easy, leaving the decisions section unchanged would change the type from backup to mirror! So basically the reason I could not spot any differences in the decisions section between my mirrored profiles and my backup ones - was because there weren't any! How on earth are average users supposed to work that out?
threestar333

Post by threestar333 »

I have experienced exactly the same behavior. After copying a "mirror" profile it is listed at "backup". However the new profile is still set Decisions > if file exists on destination but not source = delete file from destination. Presumably this means the profile will function as a mirror profile, but is listed as backup. I can change the listed type in the Easy section which makes no changes in the Decisions section, but does change the listing.
Attachments
profiles20200817_copyBug.zip
(135.76 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
1DumSpark
Experienced
Experienced

Post by 1DumSpark »

I agree with the other users: This is odd behaviour and looks like a bug.

@Swapna What are your thoughts?
1DumSpark
Experienced
Experienced

Post by 1DumSpark »

@Swapna Any feedback?
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,
@Swapna Any feedback?
Can you please submit a support ticket to [email protected] and provide exact steps to reproduce the issue?

Thank you.