Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

SBSE____.TIB files

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
jgt
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

SBSE____.TIB files

Post by jgt »

I see several SBSE____.TIB files in my SB target folders. Are these SyncBackPro files? If yes why do they have the file extension of TIB. TIB files should be Acronis True Image files. With the 2018 release of True Image these files are creating a True Image issue for me. The only place I see the files are in the target folders for SyncbackPro.
michael.kenward

Re: SBSE____.TIB files

Post by michael.kenward »

TIB files should be Acronis True Image files.
Why? No one has a monopoly on file extensions.

SyncBack usually cleans up after itself and you won't see its housekeeping files.
jgt
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by jgt »

I agree that there is no monopoly on file extensions however, it is common practice not to use an extension that another company is using for their application. Possibly we are in a chicken/egg situation here with the tib extension but Acronis True Image has been using the TIB extension since it was released and when I view any of the online databases regarding the TIB extension they all clearly identify them as Acronis True Image files.

When Acronis released the TI 2018 version as a layer of security protection they implemented Active Protection. When Acitve Protection is turned on any attempt to modify/delete/move a TIB file outside of TI this action is blocked. Yes, it is possible to turn off the Active Protection but then you have no protection for the TIB files created by TI.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

jgt
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by jgt »

cliffhanger, this looks like it will resolve my issue. I just implemented it and when SBP makes the nightly runs as well as TI I will know. I might have to wait a couple of days to ensure I created the file correctly. This is a very simple file but I have been known to make a mistake. :oops:
I'll follow-up with my results.
jgt
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by jgt »

cliffhanger, either I did something wrong or the procedure identified at http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... 1512288406 no longer works.

After I implemented I checked and ensured that there were no SBSE____.TIB files on my PC. I used the search tool Everything to search my system. I just checked my system and I see one SBSE____.TIB file that was created at 2353 hours on 1205, it is currently 0025 hours 1206 thus the file was created less than 30 minutes ago.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi, did you restart SBPro after adding the blockext.txt file? (Yes, i know it doesn't mention that in the KB, but it might be necessary to ensure the file is parsed/loaded on program startup). Having said that, if the nightly run is Scheduled, it should not make any difference because Scheduled runs open/use/close a separate instance of SB to run Scheduled profiles anyway (so the separate instance should have loaded blockext.txt as it fires up anyway). Note that this does not apply to Periodical backups, which would need Pro closed/re-opened once to make sure the blocker file loads as Pro starts up. If in doubt, simply reboot/re-test, which means any instance of Pro that runs after the reboot should have loaded the blocker file (assuming it is located where Pro expects to find one, if any)

If blockext.txt should have been loaded by the time the profile/s are run by whichever SBPro instance does so, I guess either the file is misconfigured/mis-located or the process itself is faulty. Unfortunately you cannot attach *.txt files here for checking (against forum rules, I guess) but you could Zip it and attach the Zip? Unfortunately by its very nature it would be hard to test if the exclusion is working because AFAIK there is no way of ensuring/forcing the 'random' part of the temp-file naming process (i.e. which random extension it decides to try and use in the first place) to 'propose' a .TIB extension to be trapped/denied (or, not). AFAICS, the only way is to record the workings of the run/s and capture them if any such files are spotted. So...

I would suggest you set Output Debug Info (see article following) and keep checking for SBSE____.TIB files immediately after each run (or, first thing next morning, provided the same profiles will not run again in the meantime). If you find any more SBSE____.TIB files, generate a Support Zip(s) immediately for the profile (or profiles) you suspect of creating the SBSE.TIB files and forward it/them to 2BS Support (details in article) and also forward (i.e. attach) a copy of your blockext.txt file and an Explorer screenshot of which folder it is installed in. Suggest you also include a reference or link to this forum topic for continuity. If 2BS need anything else I'm sure they will get back to you (on the ticket)

Note well the warning in the KB article about running the same profile(s) again before you generate Support Zip(s) - if you do, you will wipe/replace the debug info of the run you are trying to capture (with info about the new run), and your next run may not pick the same extensions again

Do not post Support Zips or copy profiles on this open forum!

In conclusion, I must add that a process that generates a random extension .??? and tests it against an internal list of do-not-use strings (making sure things like SBSE____.EXE, SBSE___.BAT etc. do not happen) and optionally against a user defined list (blockext.txt) seems to have an unusual predilection for choosing .TIB in the first place (given the tens of thousands of other filename-legal random combinations it could decide on). I cannot help getting the feeling there is something else going on...
jgt
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by jgt »

I've been busy with other projects and just got back to this. The TI Active Protection has been bugging me on a daily basis and I've been selecting the option to allow the SBP action for one hour.
Using Everything I searched my system for .tib files and noted I had several .tib files that had been created by SBP and they all had a file length of zero. I deleted them. Now on my system, the only .tib files I have are those created by Acronis True Image.
Back in Dec 2017 when I was working on this I had created the blockext.txt file and put it in C:\Program Files\2BrightSparks\SyncBackPro.

I'll let things run normally for a few days and see if the issue has been resolved. More later.
jgt
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by jgt »

OK the SBSE____.TIB files are still being created. Thus it has been months and numerous system reboots since the blockext.txt file was created.

Location of the blockext.txt file > C:\Program Files\2BrightSparks\SyncBackPro\blockext.txt
Contents of the file is the following two lines.
TIB
TIA
I've attached the ZIP file, which contains blockext.txt. I think I created the blockext file correctly.

I just submitted a support request, hopefully with all of the things requested in the KB article.

Yesterday I used the search tool "Everything" to find all SBSE____.TIB files and deleted them. Today when I search I find more and the date of some files are last Dec. Any idea why I see these files, I really did delete all that I found yesterday. Also why is the file length zero? See the attached image.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

There seems to be nil attached here (neither a Zip with blockext.txt inside nor any 'attached image'). But I suspect you will get further supplying these to 2BS (if not already done) with other suggested debug info. I think you've exceeded the stage where comment/opinion on an open forum will help
jgt
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by jgt »

blockext.zip
(165 Bytes) Downloaded 472 times
AH, I had attached the darn file but did NOT see the "Place inline" button.

I did submit a support request, received feedback, implemented the suggestions and still get the error. Another Tech Support request was just requested.

In that I'm now working with TS I will not update this thread until the issue is resolved. Hopefully, I will remember to do so. :?
mergs

Post by mergs »

jgt wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:52 pm
...I will not update this thread until the issue is resolved. Hopefully, I will remember to do so. :?
I'm wondering if you found a resolution: I'm using SBP to copy files from an Azure based Windows Server to Sharefile using sFTP. A 56GB SQL Server backup file named DbName_FULL_20230401_182547.bak was copied and saved to Sharefile as SBSE____.TKP

This was accompanied by the error:
Failed to copy from Left : Connection timed out. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. (10060): The current connection has timeout. (10060)

thanks.