Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Initial upload of files to Google Drive

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Tyree
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Initial upload of files to Google Drive

Post by Tyree »

I'm just setting up a large backup scheme to Google Drive. To start things off, I was uploading all my files via the Google Drive interface. I've uploaded nearly 200GB of data at this point. No small feat with a 12Mbps upload speed.

Today, I decided to let Syncback finish the upload of files in a particular folder. 500 files to go out of 8300. When I did so, as a mirror operation, I was surprised to see that Syncback wanted to upload ALL the files again.
This all comes down to the option in the Decisions to have the Source overwrite the Destination if the files have "changed" on both sides. But, the files shouldn't be different, right? If I change this option to "Do nothing" then it uploads just the 500 files. Obviously, though, in the end I WANT Syncback to overwrite the Destination if a file changes.

Here's the issue: I'm going to face this for all 200GB of files I have already uploaded. Basically, starting all over again.

So, if I run Syncback the first time with the "Do nothing" option, just to get all the files uploaded, is there then some way to tell Syncback to "start with this" and only change things from here on out? I'm gathering that I'm screwed here. I didn't expect the files to be "changed" on the destination. Ugh.

Thanks!
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: Initial upload of files to Google Drive

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

When SyncBackPro is used to upload files to the Google Drive server, it creates a local database to store the details of the files that cannot be stored on the cloud server (i.e. stores the meta-data of the uploaded files). In the next runs it uses the database to detect file differences on both sides and uploads only new/changed files from source to destination.

If the initial upload of files to Google Drive is done using its interface (or 3rd party application) then SyncBack doesn't know anything about those uploaded files (as there is no record of those files in the local database), so it assumes they are different and may propose to recopy all files again to the server. However, if you know the files are identical on both sides (that means no changes are made to the Source files since the last upload) you can follow these steps to update the database (without copying the file contents to the server):

1. Run the profile in manual mode (using ctrl + R)

2. When the Differences Window is displayed, mass select all the identical files (from the Differences Window)

3. Right click and choose "Use details from Source" to copy properties from one side to another (note that this process will only copy the meta-data but not the file contents).

When you mass-select files from Differences Window, you should select files that exist on both sides (with identical contents, but differ only in the file properties), otherwise the ‘Use details from Source’ option will not visible in the pop-up menu (in other words, if that option is not visible in the pop-up menu, that means you have accidentally selected a file that is only on one side). You can use the Filters menu on the Differences Window to filter the file list.

4. Run the profile

Thank you
Tyree
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Tyree »

Excellent! I will give that a shot! Thank you!
Tyree
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Tyree »

Question for you, Swapna...
When Syncback creates the database of the files, it isn't profile specific, right?
I am using temporary profiles to upload the files that allow me to be more granular than the final profiles will be. I just want to make sure that once I have a profile that checks an entire folder of folders that the files within will match the files on GDrive and I won't be in this mess all over again.

Thanks!
Matt
Tyree
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Tyree »

I'm not seeing the "Use details from Source" option. Yet I know the files are on Google Drive. I can open Google Drive and see them.
Options.png
Options.png (202.5 KiB) Viewed 8928 times
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi
When Syncback creates the database of the files, it isn't profile specific, right?
The cloud database file is created and updated per profile.
I'm not seeing the "Use details from Source" option. Yet I know the files are on Google Drive. I can open Google Drive and see them.
Please submit a support zip with debug logs of the scan phase to [email protected] for investigation. Enable the option 'Output debug information' from Preferences menu and run the profile in manual mode (ctrl + R). When the Differences Window is displayed, abort the profile run and submit the support zip as per the instructions given here:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... ation-file

If your Zip is over 30MB, contact us for alternate instructions, advising the actual size. Do not try to attach to the ticket!

Do not post (nor links to) Support Zips on this open forum.

Thank you.
inode

Post by inode »

Hello,

I have a similar problem as the one described here, but in my case I'm always using syncback for the upload, but when I start again the upload syncback will upload again all files (also the ones already uploaded).

A way to resolve the problem will be deselect all the times the uploaded content. There is a way to do that in an automatic way and tell to syncback to not override these files if already present in the destintation?

The backup database is not created if the backup in not completed?

Here what I'm seeing in the difference windows.

Thank you in advance.

inode
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Please submit a support zip with debug logs of the profile run to [email protected] for investigation. Full instructions for creating and submitting the support zip are given here:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... les/213970

If your Zip is over 30MB, contact us for alternate instructions, advising the actual size. Do not try to attach to the ticket!

Do not post (nor links to) Support Zips on this open forum.

Thank you.
fabiodj1

Post by fabiodj1 »

In the post of 11th of February 2018 by Swanpa a very interesting procedure is described, but I'm not able to start It because i cannot run my profile (What profile? Google One?) in manual mode pressing ctrl+r (where?).
Please help me. Thank young very much.
FD
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Please submit a support ticket to [email protected] with your problem description, profile configuration and log files for assistance.

Thank you.