Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

No more network connection on Windows 10

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
RL29

No more network connection on Windows 10

Post by RL29 »

Hello there!
I hope you will find my request acceptable as it concerns more Windows than directly SyncBack but I thought I may not be the only one facing this problem.
I had installed SyncBack in order to save my files from one computer to another, at home (where I work). I had created a local network between my computers using broadband over power line. And all my copies were fine untill last summer. Now, my network is all broken and I read an article saying that Microsoft got rid of that possibility in its recent updates (because not enough people were using it, I guess).
I wanted to know if some of you at the same problem and how you managed your copies from one computer to another, now, using SyncBack.
Thanks for all the help!

R.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: No more network connection on Windows 10

Post by cliffhanger »

At a guess the firmware in your add-on network kit (the broadband-over-power stuff, probably - or maybe your router, if separate) only supports SMB1.0, which MS have deprecated in recent Win10 variants due to security issues. You can probably turn it back on like this

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/107 ... ndows.html

but i suggest you take serious note about the warnings mentioned (preferably before you do anything to reinstate it).

The other solution is probably to replace the hardware with something that uses SMB2.0 or higher. Sorry, but I can't get involved in any further discussion of these issues as I'm at the GIYF stage myself, and it's probably best if you travel that route for yourself (maybe ask for further guidance in tenforums.com or similar)
RL29

Post by RL29 »

Thanks a lot Cliffhanger for this reply!
I'll have a check at this SMB thing that I do not know yet but I'll find my way on the internet.
Possibly, when I know more about it, I'll post another reply if ever the solution is more complicated than this.
Thanks again!
des421
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by des421 »

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-acce ... windows-10

Chrome OS recently added Native SMB Shares to it's Files app and this disallows SMBv1 as well. The Windows File System extension and most Android File Managers thankfully do still support SMBv1 though.

DES