Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Limit bandwitdh usage not working properly

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
equit

Limit bandwitdh usage not working properly

Post by equit »

Hi,

We've been using SBP for some time now, but recently I've been using it to copy new large VM's to our external locations.
These locations have limited bandwith, so I thought of using the settings Copy/Delete-->Advanced-->Limit bandwidth usage to:...

I have set this at 512KBps, so that I can use several connections concurrent with our 30MBps internetconnection.
Though I am seeing quite some weird stuff now....
SBP is saying it is copying the file with 512KBps, but when I check the windows networkcard, it is showing a 10 !! times more usage.
When I check our monitoring on our internetconnection, when I am using 3 concurrent 512KBps connections(according to SBP) it is actually using 5MBps per connection!
In the beginning this caused some problems, because I was copying like 6 concurrent connections(6x 512KBps = 3MBps), but it actually used our full bandwidth, which caused a problem in our VoIP-connections....

Do more people have this kind of problem? Is this a SBP problem or a Windows problem?
I would like some thoughts from here on how to solve this for the future.....

With kind regards,

Equit
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Limit bandwitdh usage not working properly

Post by mickyj »

Hi, which file copying method, and version of Pro, are you using? Thanks
equit

Post by equit »

Hi,

I'm using version 8.6.6.3 64-bit with the Standard WIndows File Copying method.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Hi, best thing to do is submit a support ticket with an example profile. Note that bandwidth throttling is based on pausing between bursts, not a constant speed. So it will use the maximum bandwidth, but in short spurts. It then calculates how long to pause until the next lot of data is sent.