Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

V9 font and button size too large!

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Engztrom
Advanced
Advanced

V9 font and button size too large!

Post by Engztrom »

Great with new features like delta-copy, but sorry to say the new "modern" visual interface is not quite what I had hoped for.
("If it works don't fix it" comes to mind... [-X)

I want smaller fonts and denser lines, and PLEASE also make those annoyingly big buttons at top and bottom A LOT smaller!
(Preferable also dockable and/or removable).

I hope you will fix this or make it configurable in next update, because right now I am considering going back to V8 when the trial expires.
Engztrom
Advanced
Advanced

Re: V9 font and button size too large!

Post by Engztrom »

Also that right-side unfold window is really awkward!
Can't this be done in a better way, e.g. as a fly-by popup or via configurable columns?
JoelN

Post by JoelN »

I thought I would make a few initial comments about the layout of the new version (9) of SyncBackPro. I’m running Windows 10 (64 bit) on a 2560 x 1440 monitor at 100% recommended scale. The layout looks just fine on my monitor. Top and bottom buttons seem positioned and proportioned just fine. I still find the font too small and wish I had the option to enlarge it. I have a fairly fast processor (i7-6700K) and the program takes about 8 – 10 seconds to fully load. There is a rather long period during which there is no indication that the program has actually started. A little disconcerting at first. I would suggest a small startup window/popup saying something like “SyncBackPro starting and initializing . . . please wait.” I have other programs that use this method and I find it reassuring and reinforcing that I have indeed properly started the program.
karumba

Post by karumba »

i just upgraded to v9 & i was shocked as well to see that the UI interface is that big now & mostly grey which wasn't IMO a good decision from a UX point of view. but it seems there are templates possible now, so my request would be to have a template similar to the older v8 UI. the current menu layout is fine, but maybe lower the font size & bring in more colors simliar to v8?
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Hi, we've released V9.0.1.1 which greatly improves the loading time of the windows. For the size, we hear you and are working on reducing it. Thanks
mattb5906
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by mattb5906 »

Although I imagine this will be quite a bit of work, could you consider making the padding/spacing, font size and button size configurable. 3 settings would be a nice start: small, medium, large.

I agree that the buttons are a bit too large. The top set of buttons should possibly be collapsible as it takes up a large percentage of the window and for me I will rarely use these, instead mainly using the bottom set.
mattb5906
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by mattb5906 »

Would it have been better to have beta/customer trial releases for changes as huge as these to get early feedback instead of finalising it and then potentially alienating users?

I like the UI for the most part. Nice icons, and better scaling overall.
frostyofthenorth
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by frostyofthenorth »

Well, I have to say I **REALLY** don't like the new UI. It's not modern at all. It looks like when developers could access skins for their software in the mid-2000s. The previous UI with customization options would have been much better and contemporary IMNSHO.

And on my 4K monitor, all of the message windows are tiny and virtually unreadable. Aren't high DPI monitors been thought of???
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Hi, for the tiny message windows, can you submit a support ticket with screen shots? That shouldn't be happening and isn't something I cannot reproduce on a 4K monitor. Are you using a Surface Pro? Thanks
nzt

Post by nzt »

Been using this software for a long time and upgraded to v9 without a thought, but had to express my unhappiness with the new UI.

One of the major issues is that there is no hierarchy between elements. Everything is completely flat, grey, the same font size, there are no relationships between groups element. The options screens are very difficult to use, it's a big step backwards in terms of usability.
Engztrom
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Engztrom »

I agree with nzt and the other.
That said, I also want to say to mickyj and the other developers at 2BrightSparks that I hope you are not too discouraged about our criticism.
The positive thing with you guys (contrary to e.g. Microsoft) is that you actually listen to your customers, and try to correct things that doesn't work so well. Keep up the good work, and I am convinced V9 will eventually be even better than V8 (which IMO is close to perfect!)
frostyofthenorth
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

mickyj wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:46 am
Hi, for the tiny message windows, can you submit a support ticket with screen shots? That shouldn't be happening and isn't something I cannot reproduce on a 4K monitor. Are you using a Surface Pro? Thanks
I'm using a 4K Dell Precision 7730. This is what the message windows look like. The messages aren't legible.

frostyofthenorth
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

frostyofthenorth
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

nzt wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:17 pm
Been using this software for a long time and upgraded to v9 without a thought, but had to express my unhappiness with the new UI.

One of the major issues is that there is no hierarchy between elements. Everything is completely flat, grey, the same font size, there are no relationships between groups element. The options screens are very difficult to use, it's a big step backwards in terms of usability.
Those are exactly my thoughts. I've been using SyncBack for probably 15 years now. This new UI is a major step back in terms of usability. It's a cluttered mess.

I upgraded one of my SBP licenses without any thought (mostly because I want to support 2BrightSparks) but I regret doing so. The UI of the previous version was in need of improvement but was still so much better than this version.

A few initial thoughts:

- Scrolling left and right through the profile window is sluggish on my expensive, otherwise fast computer. Version 8 was fast.
- The monochrome color scheme was an awful idea. Color communicates important information. This version takes that away.
- The overall GUI is dated, not contemporary. This look and feel belonged in 2005, not 2019.
- Toolbar buttons are far too large, like others have pointed out.
- High DPI issues (see my earlier reply).
- What's with the BUY item in the menus? Why does that need to be visible every time I run SBP? I've already bought the product. I don't want to see anything that amounts to an ad.
- Again, what's with the notice at the bottom of the window prompting me to buy "Upgrade Assurance"? Again, that's like seeing an ad. Please kill that. You already have my money. I don't want to see nags for more.

Much like others in this thread have pointed out, SyncBack is a great product and that's why I've been using it for so long -- and have recommended it to many clients and colleagues -- but this was not a good move.

I hope 2BrightSparks takes this in the spirit of improvement and addresses these issues.
JTB3

Post by JTB3 »

Engztrom wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:51 pm
Great with new features like delta-copy, but sorry to say the new "modern" visual interface is not quite what I had hoped for. ("If it works don't fix it" comes to mind... [-X)

I want smaller fonts and denser lines, and PLEASE also make those annoyingly big buttons at top and bottom A LOT smaller!
(Preferable also dockable and/or removable). I hope you will fix this or make it configurable in next update, because right now I am considering going back to V8 when the trial expires.
mattb5906 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:26 pm
Would it have been better to have beta/customer trial releases for changes as huge as these to get early feedback instead of finalising it and then potentially alienating users?
karumba wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:11 pm
i just upgraded to v9 & i was shocked as well to see that the UI interface is that big now & mostly grey which wasn't IMO a good decision from a UX point of view. but it seems there are templates possible now, so my request would be to have a template similar to the older v8 UI. the current menu layout is fine, but maybe lower the font size & bring in more colors simliar to v8?
frostyofthenorth wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:00 pm
Well, I have to say I **REALLY** don't like the new UI. It's not modern at all. It looks like when developers could access skins for their software in the mid-2000s. The previous UI with customization options would have been much better and contemporary IMNSHO.
frostyofthenorth wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:21 pm
nzt wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:17 pm

Those are exactly my thoughts. I've been using SyncBack for probably 15 years now. This new UI is a major step back in terms of usability. It's a cluttered mess.

I upgraded one of my SBP licenses without any thought (mostly because I want to support 2BrightSparks) but I regret doing so. The UI of the previous version was in need of improvement but was still so much better than this version.

A few initial thoughts:
- Scrolling left and right through the profile window is sluggish on my expensive, otherwise fast computer. Version 8 was fast.
- The monochrome color scheme was an awful idea. Color communicates important information. This version takes that away.
- The overall GUI is dated, not contemporary. This look and feel belonged in 2005, not 2019.
- Toolbar buttons are far too large, like others have pointed out.
- High DPI issues (see my earlier reply).
- What's with the BUY item in the menus? Why does that need to be visible every time I run SBP? I've already bought the product. I don't want to see anything that amounts to an ad.
- Again, what's with the notice at the bottom of the window prompting me to buy "Upgrade Assurance"? Again, that's like seeing an ad. Please kill that. You already have my money. I don't want to see nags for more.

Much like others in this thread have pointed out, SyncBack is a great product and that's why I've been using it for so long -- and have recommended it to many clients and colleagues -- but this was not a good move. I hope 2BrightSparks takes this in the spirit of improvement and addresses these issues.
I'm echoing ALL of the above criticisms! I've also been a paid SyncBack user for over 10 yrs and I just rolled back to V8 after experiencing the abominable V9 UI. Please, Micky, we appreciate all of your work, but don't give us a dated UI that looks like a childish/skinned circa 2002 attempt. It sticks out like a VERY sore thumb on all my desktops. Pls make it at least consistent with the new 'Dark+Light' Windows 10 File Explorer look or embrace the new UWP UX standards.

I'll be watching this thread and hope that I can re-install V9 in the near future with a true modern & compact UI that creates resonance (not dissonance). I'm also sending appreciation for all the amazing great past work that you have done on SyncBack!

Cheers, -JT 8)