Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Date STamping Folders/Files

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
mcwnasa

Date STamping Folders/Files

Post by mcwnasa »

New to the product. Is there a way to use date/time components in the file name so that the automated/scheduled backups can have the date/time within the folder or file name?

Thanks in Advanced...
mike_chag

Re: Date STamping Folders/Files

Post by mike_chag »

Yes, you can. The Pro & SE products support what they call "Advanced Environment Variables". This is not in the Free version. But you can use the standard (DOS) environment variables. What I do is to run Syncback from a batch file, that sets the environment variables with the current date or time, when it is run, and use that environment variable in my profiles. Here is an example:

RunSyncbackFree.bat Batch File:
ECHO OFF
set month=%date:~4,2%
if %month% EQU 01 set mname=January
if %month% EQU 02 set mname=February
... (lines cut, you get the idea)
if %month% EQU 12 set mname=December

ECHO ON
set year=%date:~10,4%
set month_year=%mname%_%year%
"C:\Program Files (x86)\SyncBackFree\SyncBackFree.exe"

Now in my profile, I set the destination directory name to something like:
D:\Backups\%year%\%month_year%\
And this give me directory a directory structure like:

2018\
January_2018
February_2018
December_2018
2019\
January_2019
February_2019

This, for example, puts all my January 2019 backups in the same directory, and gives me better organization.

I hope that this helps!

Regards,

Michael
mcwnasa

Re: Date STamping Folders/Files

Post by mcwnasa »

This is awesome. Thank you so much for your help and response.