Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

What is faster - backup or mirror ?

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
sbwul
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

What is faster - backup or mirror ?

Post by sbwul »

I know, it's pretty much a newbie question, but I've always wondered (though never tested): what is faster, a 'standard' backup or mirror?

or better:
does a mirror first check whether or not the files exist on destination and if so, whether they are newer or the same, so only newer files are being copied or does mirror copy all, no matter whether identical files exist on destination, which obviously takes more time.

Personally.. whilst not being sure whether or not it is the best way to go, I have always used mirror.
Background is that often I rename files and subsequently move them to other sub folders (named after a subject)

To avoid duplicates the backup profile would then include deleting files when they do not exist on destination, being more or less similar to a mirror profile (from my non-expert point of view).

Thanks.
Wullail

Re: What is faster - backup or mirror ?

Post by Wullail »

To me, backup is faster.

Mirror also has to check each file on the destination and if it's not on the source, remove it from the source directory as well as if files are on the source but not destination.

Backup doesn't check for files on the destination but not in the source, it just checks if a file is on the source but not on the destination and copies it.
sbwul
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: What is faster - backup or mirror ?

Post by sbwul »

Yes, in that case, I suppose it is faster indeed.
In the end there may be more files on the destination drive, when redundant files are deleted on source.
Not a big problem in case of small files, but in case of large files, on my run into destination space problems at some point in time.
Had this a few times in the past after creating safety copies of large Outlook .pst files and large .pdf files
(containing hundreds of pages of scanned documents)
But that aside...

Think I will change the current mirror profiles in to backup profiles.