Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

SYNC not working the way I expect

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
ppack
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

SYNC not working the way I expect

Post by ppack »

[sorry I initially wrongly posted in the wrong product line, please delete from the other product line forum]

Hi, I am on SyncBackPro V9.3.4.0 (64 bits) on Windows 10.

I have a profile which is a pure SYNC profile.
Most of the time I do not touch the RIGHT drive, but I still want to make this a SYNC profile because there are cases where I occasionally make some changes to RIGHT.

I my common scenario, RIGHT is untouched:
I expect most of the operations will be to write new files to RIGHT, delete files on RIGHT, or rename on RIGHT.
I expect that no operation will take place on LEFT (no file delete, no file copy etc.)

If my understanding of a SYNC profile is not accurate, please let me know??

However for some reasons, I see the following issues:

#1 File renames seem not to work. Even If I change the name of a folder on LEFT, it seems that SyncBackPro will first delete the files with the old folder name, then copy the files with the new folder name. No file rename is taking place although I have the option checked.

#2 This is the most troubling issue. A file that does not exist anymore on LEFT (because I did a folder name change for example) -> SyncBackPro will propose me to recreate the file found on RIGHT and copy it to LEFT. It kind of recreates the file on LEFT with the old folder name.
If I accept everything, I end up with having on LEFT and on RIGHT both the old folder structure and the new folder structure with several file duplicates being created by SyncBackPro.

Even if I remove the options to detect file renames, the issue #2 remains.

In the end, to go around issue #2, I have to force MIRROR ALL THE FILES TO RIGHT in the "Differences for Profile" window, to make sure that the end result meets what I expect from a SYNC profile.

In summary, the issue is that the SYNC profile tries to copy some files to LEFT while I did not make any changes on RIGHT.

I'm attaching the file decisions, I think that it is the standard SYNC one.
Attachments
2BRIGHT.jpg
2BRIGHT.jpg (170.06 KiB) Viewed 4351 times
ppack
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Re: SYNC not working the way I expect

Post by ppack »

Hi could any developer comment here:
  • whether my understanding of the way SyncBack Pro should work is not accurate
  • or the software is not behaving the way it should?
What's sure is that the current behavior of the software puts my data at risk with possible errors / overwriting of new data.
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Can you send a support ticket to [email protected] with your profile configuration (select the profile > right click > choose Export Profile from the pop-up menu) for assistance.

Thank you.
ppack
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by ppack »

Here is more details on the issues.
Attachments
WINDOW SYNCBACK PRO.jpg
WINDOW SYNCBACK PRO.jpg (231.62 KiB) Viewed 4299 times
ppack
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by ppack »

Swapna wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:57 am
Hi,

Can you send a support ticket to [email protected] with your profile configuration (select the profile > right click > choose Export Profile from the pop-up menu) for assistance.

Thank you.
Email sent (profile is 17MB file)
ppack
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by ppack »

Let's take this scenario.

LEFT and RIGHT are in sync. (point 0)
Folder 1/file1.pdf
Folder 1/file2.xlsx
Folder2/fileA.xlsx

I rename Folder 1 to Folder 3 and edit fileA on LEFT.

Actual Result (which I think is a bug in Red)

Folder 3/ ==> Copy to RIGHT ==> (comment: fine but would have preferred a file rename on RIGHT)
Folder 3/file1.pdf ==> Copy to RIGHT ==> (comment: fine but would have preferred a file rename on RIGHT)
Folder 3/file2.xlsx ==> Copy to RIGHT ==> (comment: fine but would have preferred a file rename on RIGHT)

Folder 1/ <== Copy to LEFT <== (comment: wrong, no reason why the Folder 1 structure should be replicated to LEFT)
Folder 1/file1.pdf <== Copy to LEFT <== (comment: wrong, no reason why the Folder 1 structure should be replicated to LEFT)
Folder 1/file2.xlsx <== Copy to LEFT <== (comment: wrong, no reason why the Folder 1 structure should be replicated to LEFT)

Folder2/fileA.xlsx ?? Collision Prompt me ?? (comment: wrong, file was not touched on RIGHT no reason for collision)

Expected differences window:

Folder 3/ ==> Rename on RIGHT ==> (comment: copy to RIGHT then Delete Folder 1 from RIGHT is also acceptable)
Folder 3/file1.pdf ==> Rename on RIGHT ==> (comment: copy to RIGHT then Delete Folder 1 from RIGHT is also acceptable)
Folder 3/file2.xlsx ==> Rename on RIGHT ==> (comment: copy to RIGHT then Delete Folder 1 from RIGHT is also acceptable)

Folder2/fileA.xlsx ==> Copy to RIGHT ==> (overwrite the old untouched xlsx file on RIGHT).

To your other comments, what I need is an intelligent sync, not a 1 way mirror. Because the above scenarii can work both ways (changes made on RIGHT instead of LEFT).

But the intelligent SYNC does not behave like expected. One of the main bugs is that instead of Deleting Folder 1 on RIGHT, the SYNC profile tries to re-create it on left.

For some reason it seems that all the old files on RIGHT appear to be new to SynBack Pro, when I did not make a single change. Can you investigate this specific issue?

If this matters, my files on LEFT and my files on RIGHT are on an encrypted Truecrypt container, and every time I mount the container before running SyncBackPro.

Note that I have been using this set up for the last 8 years and did not have such issues with SYNC in the past (let's say until about 6 months ago).