Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Need a friendly but powerful backup app

An area of the forum to post ideas for new products or discuss things that are not related to 2BrightSparks products
staak

Need a friendly but powerful backup app

Post by staak »

I'm switching a file server from Windows to Ubuntu. I've been using SyncBack SE for backups and I would like something very similar for Ubuntu. (BTW, I installed gnome on my file server because I'm not an admin - just a home user.)

I heard about Flyback, but I didn't try it yet. Is that the best GUI backup app for Ubuntu?

I want something that supports versioning of files and that stores the backed up files in their original (uncompressed) condition. I also want to be able to select which files are backed up via the GUI.

SyncBack SE has a nice feature that lets you choose whether all new files in a location included in the backup or excluded. I'd like this functionality in a Ubuntu app too.

Thanks for any suggestions or pointers to other threads.
mathygreen

Re: Need a friendly but powerful backup app

Post by mathygreen »

1.Timeshift
Timeshift is an open-source powerful backup and system restore tool for Linux that requires little setup.
so you can use it as an open source and you can protect user and system files.
2.Back In Time
simple open-source backup tool for Linux desktops, Back In Time comes with a Qt5 GUI ‘backintime-qt‘ application which will run on both Gnome and KDE based desktop.
milesstone

Post by milesstone »

Veeam is pretty much for backing up an entire system not files. If you plan on backing up every few months maybe have a look at AWS Glacier, it's not free but it is incredibly cheap for storage, you'll probably have to find your own versioning system that works for you like git or something.
Sn3akyP3t3
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by Sn3akyP3t3 »

Years ago Crashplan was the backup solution I would recommend. It had a free tier for private backup hosting with tons of features, but that's no longer free. i only mention it because it's the standard I try to seek in comparison.

For Linux I prefer rsync which is way too complex to recommend to you since you seek simplicity.

I've had great success with Duplicati which offers security, reliability, and simplicity. https://www.duplicati.com/
john006

Post by john006 »

staak wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:26 am
I'm switching a file server from Windows to Ubuntu. I've been using SyncBack SE for backups and I would like something very similar for Ubuntu. (BTW, I installed gnome on my file server because I'm not an admin - just a home user.)

I heard about Flyback, but I didn't try it yet. Is that the best GUI backup app for Ubuntu?

I want something that supports versioning of files and that stores the backed up files in their original (uncompressed) condition. I also want to be able to select which files are backed up via the GUI.

https://gbwhatsappdownload.pk/ has a nice feature that lets you choose whether all new files in a location included in the backup or excluded. I'd like this functionality in a Ubuntu app too.

Thanks for any suggestions or pointers to other threads.
Back In Time is another backup tool that offers a graphical interface. It supports versioning, compression, and encryption. It allows you to choose the files and folders you want to back up and provides options for including or excluding specific locations.
joisie

Post by joisie »

Veeam primarily focuses on backing up entire systems rather than individual files. If your backup strategy involves periodic backups every few months, consider exploring AWS Glacier. While it's not free, it offers remarkably affordable storage. You may need to implement your own versioning system, such as using Git or a similar tool, to align with your specific needs.
Jason Henry

Post by Jason Henry »

For Ubuntu, consider using Deja Dup for a user-friendly GUI backup tool with versioning support, file selection options, and the ability to store files in their original condition. It offers an intuitive interface for home users transitioning from Windows.